Lee Frost Photography
NAMIBIA DESERT ADVENTURE
Namibia is a country with many faces. As well as being home to the world’s oldest desert – the Namib - and the tallest sand dunes on the planet, it also boasts a fascinating array of wildlife including the largest Cheetah population in Africa, deserted German diamond mining towns that are slowly being re-claimed by the desert and a coastline littered with shipwrecks. Namibia is also one of my favourite photographic destinations in the world, a place of awe-inspiring beauty.
During this unforgettable trip we will visit and photograph many of the country's 5-star locations. We'll make at least two visits to Dead Vlei, where the desiccated skeletons of 800-year-old camethorn trees are scattered across a dried-up mud pan and surrounded by towering orange sand dunes; Sossusvlei for its beautiful dunes and desert scenery; the haunting Quivertree Forest; the ancient granite mountains of Spitzkoppe; the ghost towns of Kolmanskop and Elizabeth Bay in the once diamond-rich south; the spectacular 500,000 Namib Rand Nature Reserve where the scenery will blow your mind. Despite being a predominantly landscape trip, you'll also have the chance to photograph wildlife - cheetah and leopard at Okonjima, giraffe, oryx, springbok, warthog and other species at Bagatelle Game Ranch and Wolwedans Dune Lodge.
As with all my trips, priority is always given to photography, so we will be out before sunrise and until after sunset every day to make the most of the light (except in Windhoek and weather-permitting) and we will spend lots of time at each location to ensure everyone has the opportunity to get some fantastic photographs. We will also be accompanied by an experienced Namibian guide who I have used before, who understands the needs of photographers and who knows the locations well.
If you email me via the Contact page I can send you a full itinerary. However, a brief breakdown is as follows:
• 1 night Windhoek (Pension Thule)
• 1 night Okonjima Reserve (Cheetah and Leopard tracking)
• 2 nights Spitzkoppen Lodge (amazing location among ancient granite mountains)
• 3 nights Sossus Dune Lodge (Sossusvlei, Dead Vlei, Dune 45 etc plus optional helicopter flight over the desert)
• 2 nights Wolwedans Dune Lodge (amazing location, breath-taking scenery, stunning lodge, fantastic food, sundowners on location!)
• 2 nights Luderitz (base for the diamond towns - whole morning in Kolmanskop and an afternoon tour of Elizabeth Bay, plus the town itself is interesting)
• 1 night Quivertree Restcamp (the Quivertree Forest is on this farm, plus we get to shoot during cheetah feeding. We'll have a sunset then a sunrise shoot in the Quivertree Forest plus an optional night sky shoot among the Quivertrees weather permitting).
• 1 night Bagatelle Kalahari Game Ranch (another fantastic lodge and more wildlife photo opportunities, plus we go on an early morning walk with some local bushmen while they explain how they track, hunt etc)
• 1 night in Windhoek (Pension Thule, we'll have time to go into the city and do some souvenir shopping etc before the flight home)
Everyone will also have the opportunity to take a fantastic 'doors off' helicopter flight over the Namib Desert, taking off just before sunrise and lasting for one hour. This is optional and will cost approx £250 per person. Only 3 passengers per flight so everyone has a window seat. I can highly recommend it!
Advice on flights will be provided if required. I will also email advice on vaccinations, equipment, clothing etc closer to the trip. To get a better idea of the amazing photo opportunities this trip will provide, take a look at my Namibia portfolio - though please note that this trip will not involve a visit to the Himba tribe.
At A Glance...
Deposit / Price
£500.00 / £6,200.00
Sharing Discount - £600.00
05th - 20th June, 2022
All en-suite accommodation, all meals except on 1st and last nights in Windhoek (breakfast only), services of English-speaking Namibian guide/driver, airport transfers, all transport during the trip, permits and entry fees, tuition from Lee.
All flights, optional scenic helicopter flight, visas where applicable, travel insurance, drinks, meals not mentioned, photographic equipment and materials.
Namibia, southwest Africa
Max Group Size